Named for its habit of rooting through hedges and undergrowth for tasty insects, hedgehogs are any of the spiny mammals within the subfamily Erinaceinae. They are endemic to Europe, Asia, and Africa, and have also been introduced to New Zealand.
- Scientific Name: Subfamily Erinaceinae
- Characteristics: Our life-sized hedgehog figure captures all of the unique characteristics of the animal in exacting detail. From its little snout to the short quills that cover its back, this hedgehog figure could be mistaken for the real thing!
- Size and Color: Standing 2.5 inches tall and 3.5 inches long, this figurine is a touch larger than a deck of cards stood on its side. Hedgehog spines are brown and tan, and their undersides are usually white.
Hedgehog species are actually split up among 5 different genera, including Atelerix, Erinaceus, Hemiechinus, Mesechinus, and, Paraechinus. There are currently 16 known species of hedgehog, all of which are natively found in Europe, Asia, and Africa. In the areas hedgehogs have been introduced, they are considered a pest and an invasive species, and cause serious damage to many endemic forms of wildlife that they directly compete with.
- Recommended Age: 18 months and up
- Size in cm: 9 L x 6 W x
- Size in inches: 3.54 L x 2.36 W x
- Scale: 1:1