Covered in armor and weighing up to 13,000 lbs., Ankylosaurus was the tank of the dinosaur world. It’s name means “fused lizard”, because the bones in its skull and many other areas are fused together, making this dinosaur that much tougher and harder. Add a tail club for good measure, and you’ve got a creature that most predators would think twice about messing with!
- Scientific Name: Ankylosaurus magniventris
- Characteristics: Ankylosaurus was covered in bony protective plates, and this hand-painted figure reflects that feature in exacting detail. Its tail club is raised defensively, as if preparing to strike at an attacking foe.
- Size and Color: The Ankylosaurus is 7 1/2 inches long and 2 ½ inches high to the tip of his raised tail. It’s a bit longer than a soda can on its side, and about as wide. Its back features brown dermal plates on a darker brown upper body, with a light yellowish-brown below.
- The Ankylosaurus is part of the Wild Safari® Prehistoric World collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
Ankylosaurus was first discovered in 1906 by Barnum Brown in Montana. Based on these incomplete remains, Brown created a reconstruction that lacked the characteristic tail club, and also had its osteoderms (armor plates) arranged in near parallel rows. Future specimens would reveal the tail club and more osteoderms of varied shapes and sizes. Though Ankylosaurus has been a well-known dinosaur for many decades, it was not formally described in full until Kenneth Carpenter undertook the task in 2004.
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 19 L x 6.5 W x 6.3 H
- Size in inches: 7.48 L x 2.56 W x 2.48 H